Last week we received our Gas and Electricity statement for the last 12 months. I nearly fainted to see that each month every month for the last year we have spent just over £50 a month on each. £1,234.80 for both combined. Now
I expect, realistically, that this isn't THAT much but for a family of 3 on a tight budget it is quite alot! I know that I use my tumble dryer far to much, have the heating when I feel like it and am just generally a bit slack on trying to keep costs down.
I am now making it my mission to cut this bill by about £250 across the next year. By this time next year I would like to see that we have topped up our meters with less than £1000. It's a big jump. But I think if I am clever I can do it! So lots of things I need to try out.
- I already use energy saving light bulbs. We just need to keep the light off when we don't need them.
- Use the tumble dryer ALOT less.
- Stop doing washing in the evening. I often do a load in the evening. It washes and I'm so wrapped up in uni work or watching the soaps (I know, terrible person) I often forget to take it out to dry. This usually means me re-washing it in the morning wasting electricity, water and detergents.
- I do the same with the kettle. I switch it on, get distracted and often forget I ever wanted a hot drink.
- Showering quicker. May have to consider shaving my legs the old fashioned towel on the floor/sink with water - kind of way. I expect over the course of the year this will save a bit on Electricity, gas and water as it will cut down my showering time by a minute or two.