Friday 24 August 2012

Doctors visit 1-PCOS

This didn't go well at all. I thought by seeing a female doctor she would be sympathetic to the pain I suffer during my cycle, especially when the beloved (hmmm) Aunt Flo is actually here!
I sat down in this doctors office and explained about how things have been since my miscarriage nearly two years ago and how erratic things have been- and that I was on cycle day 73 and would like something to bring on my period as we have our first (it's technically our second but we were all I'll the first time so it was ruined) family holiday together and I don't want to spend the week in bed with AF and being unable to swim!
She had a moan about my weight, didn't actually weigh me just judged me on appearance, didn't take any blood or check my blood pressure just said '' I suspect you have PCOS, if you won't go back on the pill there's nothing I can do to help you!'' so she wrote me a prescription for something that would apparently lessen the flow of my period and I left, in tears, to a very bemused mother in law who, once she had listened to what had happened looked like she was going to blow a gasket.

So this leaves me with quite a jumbled mass of 'well have I got PCOS? Do I need tests? medication? Scans?.' so now I wait for Monday to roll round to make an appointment with my usual doctor. Because, although he's a bloke, I think he will listen and arrange a few tests to find out if this is true.

In the meantime I'm trying to find out as much info as I can. If anyone has any info on PCOS that they'd like to share with me please feel free to leave a comment below.
Love and huggles
Broody x

2 comments:

  1. PCOS is a very vague condition to diagnose. Unless you are scanned when you have a cyst, or have any serious complications from a cyst such as torsion, then a diagnosis is just a guess.
    Doctors don't rountinely scan for PCOS these days. There is no treatment or cure for the condition although doctors will treat the symptoms such as heavy periods, pain mid cycle and during menstruation, bad skin and excess body hair. These symptoms are treated most effectively with the pill, brands such as Yasmin and Dianette are the most common but neither are designed for long term use.
    In addition, although its not something you may wish to hear, your weight is probably a contributing factor. If a doctor suspects that you have PCOS, then one of their first recommendations would be to lose weight as this eases the symptoms.
    Additionally, women with PCOS still ovulate and conceive normally most of the time. Having a cyst does not stop ovulation and will not affect a developing foetus in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your response. I have just signed up to a 12 week programme and hoping to lose a stone or more before Xmas. Wish me luck x

    ReplyDelete